Saturday, July 14, 2012

Boy Crazy

I have always been boy crazy. When I was in high school, I had more friends who were guys than I did girlfriends. I dated a lot and if I wasn't with someone, I had my eye on the next catch. Girls were just so... I don't know. Girls were snooty and always in an unofficial popularity contest with each other, even if they were best friends. Guys were just guys. You could hang out with them and you didn't have to put on a front. One of my best friends was a guy and we're still friends. We never dated, so we don't have any kind of tainted background. He was my best supporter and was like a big brother to me, offering to beat up anyone who hurt me in any way. And in good "big brother" fashion, he also practiced his karate moves and pressure points on me to torture me.

In college, I set my sights very early on a certain guy whom I now call my husband. Next week, we celebrate our 10th anniversary together! It's been a wonderful journey in marriage thus far. We wanted children, and we have three. I always wanted a girl, but alas, I was blessed instead with three high-energy boys! Benjamin is 8, Samuel is 6, and Joshua is 4. Over the next couple months, we'll transition ages to 8, 7 and 5. I'm in denial.




Benjamin is my firstborn, and he is just like me. If you have a child is just like yourself, you know how hard it is to parent yourself! :-) Our personalities are so alike, we end up clashing and butting heads because we're both strong-willed people. I love him though - this blond-haired, blue eyed kid who mirros his father as a child in looks, and is growing bigger every day. He's recently come into his personality a bit more with his humor. The things he says sometimes are surprising, and so funny! He's such a literal thinker too, so everything we have to explain must be in concrete concepts. He loves music - drumming with his hands and singing, riding his bike, playing with our dog, and he still loves cuddling with me.

Samuel is our middle child, and he is his own person in every way. When he was 27 months old, he was diagnosed with autism. Despite this, or perhaps because of it, he has a very special place in my heart. I'm sure mothers of more than one child can attest to the fact that we all love our children equally, but differently. I love Sam just as much as my other boys, and vice versa, but I love him far differently as well. He has an amazing memory, knows countries by their flags, remembers dates - especially movie release dates. He has a way showing me that he loves me at the most random times and in such sweet ways.


A few months ago, we got a golden retriever to raise and train as an autism assistance dog for Sam. Wouldn't you know it - it's a boy! Everyone, meet Fred.

Joshua is our baby, and he knows it. All my kids are cute, but Josh is honestly the cutest one. He has this fine hair that covers his head like a helmet and enormous blue eyes with the longest, blackest eye lashes. And he is a H.A.M.! Just aim a camera in his direction, and he'll flash you the best smile you've ever seen. He skips all over the place, climbs and wrestles with his daddy, and follows his big brothers around like a puppy dog, copying everything they do (much to the chagrin of Ben and Sam sometimes).




As much as I think I would love to have a girl to buy ruffles and bows for and play with her hair, my boys are the lights of my life, and I wouldn't trade any of them out for sugar and spice and "all that's nice". I'm quite happy with our life of snips and snails and puppy dog tails. Not to mention as the only woman in the house, there's no competition for the position of Queen!







This post is part of a blog challenge by http://www.lovekate.me/. Check it out for other great blogs!

7 comments:

  1. Oh my! I agree about boys! I love this! We will have a lifetime of being so loved. Don't boys just love their mommies the best?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to do my B post on boy, but changed my mind. I enjoyed reading about your boys and all the things that make up their personalities. Cassie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! As I was thinking on what to write about, they were swarming around me and it seemed I couldn't NOT write about them! :-) They're so much fun.

      Delete
  3. I nominated you for a blog award as one of my new favorite bloggers! Check it out:


    http://eddieandsherryreese.blogspot.com/2012/07/my-first-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete