Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Poetry Attempt: Lament

A couple of years ago I was in a Sunday school class on Lamentations. Inspired, I researched the poetry of laments and found a rhythm of 5 syllables for each line in a stanza. (I adapted it a bit for mine). It does not necessarily need to rhyme, though some do. I decided to try my hand at it, and this is what I wrote. I came across it in one of my many journals and thought to journal it here. I hope you enjoy it!

A Lament of Blindness

Lord, I come not near
To Thy place of rest
My heart longs for joy
Toil steals my breath

There is so much more
Beyond what we see
I grieve my blind eyes
That veil Your glory

For now we see dim
Yet then face to face
Knowing not that day
Still, trusting Thy grace

How can I not come
To They mercy seat?
Standing first in awe,
Then fall at Your feet

God of hope, I pray
Bring me oft back here
To the place I see
Your beauty made more clear

Fall away the scales
My eyes treasured so
Thus a gift was hid
That I may not know

Thy Light shineth through
The darkest of night
To rescue Thy child
Restoring my sight

Your gift I now know
Grace through faith alone
Forgiveness with love
Jesus Christ hath shown

Now to the cross I look
No more grief and strife
For in the cross I find
Hope and rest and life

1 comment:

  1. Awww, that's beautiful, Sarah! I love the rhythm and rhyme, and the words are so true! I am definitely not a poet, but I appreciate a good one! The only poems I have written were ones for my children's scrapbook.

    ReplyDelete