Friday, July 6, 2012

Painted Canvas with Bible Verse

Continuing with a newfound interest in creating art with canvas, here is my latest project from start to finish:

Supplies I used:
* Canvas frame
* Letter stickers
* Paint leftover from a friend's living room makeover
* Foam brush
* Sandpaper (your choice of courseness)
* Mod Podge



Step One: After choosing what words you want, attach your letter stickers to the canvas.
I should have drawn straight lines in pencil first using a ruler for spacing so I didn't have to move around the letters so much which later altered how the letters came out since paint got underneath the peeling letters from being moved so much. Lesson one learned.




Step Two: Paint over the letters on the canvas front and sides (if desired) with a foam brush or roller (I had a foam brush on hand).
Be careful! The thinner your letters are, the more difficult it can be to paint over them without parts of the letters coming up and paint getting underneath. Lesson two learned.



I didn't have a place inside, so I took advantage of the cooler evening outside in the yard where it didn't matter if paint spilled a little. Canvas all covered!

Step Three: Let dry until completely dry (I let it dry overnight)




Step Four: Peel off the letters. Again, the thinner the letters, the more difficult this process can be.
Lesson three learned.

To help with this process, I used the point of a seam ripper to gently peel up the letters. You can also use an xacto knife. Either way, be very careful not to puncture the canvas. Lesson four learned. Only a couple tiny holes - nothing noticeable in the end.





Step Five: I used fine sandpaper to gently rub all over the front and some spots on the edges to give it that sweet "shabby chic" distressed look.


Step Six: Probably optional, but I coated the entire canvas - front and all sides - with a couple coats of Mod Podge using a foam brush. DONE!

Last step - wrapping it up and giving to my girlfriend for her 30th birthday. Hope she likes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment